Monday, June 17, 2013

" Eating Bananas With Gatsby"

OK, I read this book more years ago than I can remember....or EVEN care to remember.....but I SO loved it....as did my friends.....you know who you are....and then my own family long afterwards.

SO it was with slight trepidation that I went to see the Baz Luhrmann  film recently. I didn't want the bubble to burst....I didn't want all those teenager images of mine.... and those brilliant characters..... chomped away as I scoffed on my banana....( OK! Yes, I KNOW it's a bit weird ALWAYS taking a banana to the cinema....) .

SO as we shuffled into the cinema, I decided to completely divorce the film from the book. AND afterwards, I was very glad I did.

Carey Mulligan is perfect. I liked Leonardo too. The settings are sumptuous. The people are beautiful.
AND the film itself is a sweetly-rich concoction of cream and sugar and cherry pink trifle....luscious to watch, fun to watch...
BUT I missed the wonderful language of Mr. F. Scott Fitzgerald's  book ....I missed HIS WORDS!

2 completely separate entities: film/book!


Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne S said...

I was trepidacious too about going to see this film because I love the book so much. And I agree you have to separate film from book. Even though the film was fun, good to look at and the characters very well depicted, it was an over the top extravaganza that I doubt I would be tempted to see again. The book, however, I'll continue to reread every year or so. I've always regarded it as a perfect novel.

5:29 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Same opinion as me!
Extravaganza is a brilliant word and exactly right in this case! Than you for commenting, Anne.

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home