Monday, July 25, 2011

" Remembering Amy Winehouse, As So Many Will Today"

Peeping through Autumn trees is a little Slovenian village. The picture was taken by our friend GAC when we visited one October. And I've blogged it because yesterday, I read that the superb Amy Winehouse once dedicated her cover of "Autumn Leaves", to her grandmother. And yesterday I listened to it and loved it.


I first heard about Amy several years ago, courtesy of my son who lived in London and knew lots about the music scene. And as everyone is saying, her fabulous voice was up with the greats: Billie Holliday, Sarah Vaughan et al. She really did sing soul from her soul.


A weird coincidence that in my last posting I mentioned how the Ukes had featured " Autumn Leaves" at Gawsworth Hall and how it's long been one of my favourites, particularly Edith Piaf's and more lately, a wonderful version by Eric Clapton. I'm very glad that yesterday I discovered Amy's version.
What amazing music she made and how incredibly sad we've lost her.

JUST PLAYED WINEHOUSE'S " WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW?" WOW!











Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger cheshire wife said...

It is so sad. She had a wonderful talent.

4:24 pm  
Blogger Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for popping by my blog and commenting.

I am writing about Amy on my blog tomorrow. Such a shame about her death at such a young age.

Gill in Canada

11:10 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

Great picture. I've now listened to AW singing and... no, just don't get it. Not my kind of singing, though obviously it's tragic when anyone dies that young, in those circumstances.

2:08 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Cheshire Wife:
She did. And no doubt there was so much more.

Gill:
I saw pictures of her 6/7 yrs ago, a beautiful dark eyed, dark haired young woman. The closure is deeply sad.

Isabelle:
Yes, certainly tragic. IO hope her family will eventually find happy memories to soak in...

4:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home