Monday, June 13, 2011

"Carnival of Giants Parades Through Chester...."






Chester is now officially UK City of Giants.


And as I was once a child who gorged on Giant stories... ...Fee! Fie! Fo! Fum! I smell the blood of an Englishman...... I HAD to watch their spectacular parade through our city streets yesterday.


This parade was part of MBNA's Chestival ( see http://www.chesterfestivals.co.uk/), which tied in with a session the previous day when the 1st ever world Giant Conference met in Chester. Notting Hill Carnival organiser , Pax Nindi, talked about the fantastic part that Giants can play in both community/ international events. It's also hoped that Giants will parade the streets of East London during the Olympics next summer....


Yesterday was a visual and auditory feast! We saw 100 splendid Giants ( many produced by and representing local clubs, organisations etc...eg. Oxfam, Chester F C, Chester Zoo, Kings School, etc) and at least 5 bands, including samba, provided suitable lively music...


Lots more vivid and vivacious events are more than welcome...










10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you blogging again.
Those giants certainly looked more exciting than our carnival floats last Saturday!
Cousin Sue

8:49 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

Somehow your posts aren't coming through on my Google reader any more.
Lots of vivid and vivacious events would be welcome down here, instead we are just getting lots of shakes (over 7000 since September at last count!)

11:51 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Sue:
Good to hear from you.
I sent Philippa some snaps last week so shall send you some.
Good luck to SArah for her exams... I'm glad my lot are far away from that...altho I suppose it'll be George's turn before we know it...
WWowee...the circle/cycle of life/time...think I need a cuppa...

4:47 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Catherine:
Yes, I keep reading about them.
I do hope all is well with you, family and friends.
From what I hear, Christchurch is the loveliest of places and I hope so much that nature calms down and Christchurch recovers swiftly..

4:49 pm  
Blogger Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

We used to have giant heads here in Jersey for the Battle of Flowers. They didn't use them for quite a few years and then brought them back again and everyone was thrilled.

1:23 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

DEbs:
Sounds good.
There's a Summer WAtch parade here this w/end and I think Kate and William are parading too...the Giants, not the genulne!
I imagine theyre enjoying their Anglesey farmhouse...

12:08 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

My sister and I saw a very old and remarkable giant in the museum in Salisbury, my sister was struck by how like one she'd seen in Spain it was, and both were paraded on St George's day. They are amazing things, give one a kind of shiver. The faces on these Chester ones are very fine.

5:29 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Lucy:
I quite agree re Giants inducing The Shivers
Some cast their eyes in my direction as they approached... and the looks they give were sometimes nothing less than cHchCHILLING...

8:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I'd seen that parade - the Summer Watch was brilliant, but the giants are always my favourite part. Great photos!

Die

10:06 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Di:
You'd have got some amazing writing ideas, I bet....!
Good to see you, Di.
I must get to CHester Writers again soon.....

12:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home