Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Hatching In The Spring..."

Yesterday (as we were staying nearby with my brother and sister-in-law) we visited Stratford to see the renovation of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.

Dame Judi Dench ( has she appeared there more than any other living actress, do you think??) says that improvements to the theatre have her full support. And Sir Christopher Bland ( Chairman) says that the best elements of the old theatre will be entwined with the new.

The theatre closed in 2007. The intention is to re-open this Spring, with an auditorium for 1000, plus a stage thrusting out into the audience. They will be seated on 3 sides ( see picture above) and this clearly brings actors/audience closer together, which will be superb for both, I imagine.

OTHER PROMISES: new theatre tower, with viewing platform ( I saw this yesterday)...a Square outside for outdoor productions, better dressing rooms, cramped backstage facilities enlarged/ improved.... also a linking Foyer to RS theatre and The Swan next door.

ALSO IMPT: Apparently many folk expressed concern re losing Art Deco elements: these, they're assured, will be retained. In fact, the fabulous Art Deco detail in the Foyer has been invisible in recent years (due to bustle of crowds) but it's promised that these will now be given prominence. And the amazing Swedish marble fountain staircase will be retained in the new.

It's an exciting project and I think we'll be back to my brother's place 'ere long!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jon M said...

Love Stratford and I love the Swan Theatre, just a brilliant set up!

4:10 pm  
Blogger Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I've never been, but it all sounds very beautiful.

5:21 pm  
Blogger Jinksy said...

The snake has come out of hibernation, then? A chilly time to do it, and no mistake! :)

6:15 pm  
Blogger Pam said...

All very interesting.

We've just booked a few days in Chester at Easter. I'm looking forward to it - never been but have seen your photos!

8:53 pm  
Blogger Suzanne Ross Jones said...

It sounds like a great project.

6:38 pm  
Blogger cheshire wife said...

It looks like it will be worth the wait. The problem no doubt will be getting tickets.

11:14 am  
Blogger Sarah Laurence said...

I can’t wait to see the new RSC theater! Thanks for the update. It sounds wonderful. They are actually building a replica of the new theater for the RSC's residency in NYC in summer 2011.

10:33 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love the RSC - haven't been for yeas though. Did desperately want to see David Tennant as Hamlet last year but it was just too far. Last play I saw there was as a sixth former with Tim McInnerey in 'Tis Pity she's a Whore'...very gory as I remember.

9:07 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Jon:
Good to hear from you and I trust you got my message...

Debs:
Worth a trip when it's complete.

Jinsky:
Looking at today, I think the snake needs extra layers...

Isabelle:
Hope you enjoy it at Easter.
Let me know if you want any tips
where to go.

Suzanne:
Sure is!
It's been on so long that I bet there will be much excitement when all is revealed...

Cheshire Wife:
Hmm, yes.
I think ( but not altogether sure) that it will be used this summer. They've been using other locations in Stratford nearby.

SArah L;
Very interesteed re theatre in NY. Shall try to find a picture! Always enjoy hearing from you.

Michelle:
Last time I went was Nigel Hawthorn as Lear...and we arrived late and were stuck right at the back for the 1st part...

12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home