Monday, January 11, 2010

"DID Zzzzzola Have A Jacuzzzzi?!"

Q: "How WOULD past Celebrities cope with Fame?" novelist Max Brod asked of novelist Franz Kafka...last Friday night in " Kafka's Dick" at The Forum Theatre.

A: " Zola would install a Jacuzzi....and even T.S. Elliot would have people round for drinks...."
So wrote Alan Bennett....making us Laugh....and as ever, making us Think..

BUT poor Franz Kafka. AND also poor me. What gaps I have in my literary knowledge:
I hadn't realised Kafka ( that great Czech) had suffered such dreadful crippling self-doubts, e.g:"I've added SO many words to the world, I've made it heavier..."
AND I hadn't realised Kafka had such a scathing mocking tyrant of a father, e.g: : "What's HE ( Kafka) done? ...Written a book or two?! My father could lift a sack of potatoes between his teeth.."

But this Serious Doubt of Kafka... ( plus his Very Little Secret..) was made pretty obvious on Friday...as we watched Alan Bennett's hilarious play, produced ( with much Food For Thought) by Tip Top Productions , see http://www.tiptopproductions.co.uk/ ...when we glimpsed Kafka, brought back to life with his mate Max Brod...and thus deposited ( along with his swirling thoughts on Work And Life) in the suburban sittingroom of the deliciously middleaged Linda and her cheesy husband Sidney..

THIS WAS a Veritable Friday night Treat.
I look forward to Tiptop's next "Seasons Extra" in April: Debbie Isett's: "The woman who cooked her husband" ...sounds tasty to me.
Hmm. Sorree.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Oh, I want to hop back in time and go with you, Jan!

5:11 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

So you're not totally snowbound then? There was a very impressive aerial satellite photo of the UK in our paper a couple of days ago, totally white..

6:11 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
Chance would be A FINE THING!

Catherine:
Not here, but lots of places have been.
It appears to be thawing at present.
The good side of last week was being out walking in it: bright BRIGHT blue skies, white WHITE snow...it was pretty lovely.

7:31 pm  
Anonymous marly said...

All I'm asking for is a simple piece of time travel...

But enjoy your break!

5:32 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
Thanks Marly!
Best piece of Time Travelling I'd like:to travel backwarrds....be 20 years younger!

8:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home