Thursday, January 17, 2008

"HA! Good Old January.."

Your life has come to something, hasn't it, if you're propped up in bed on the greyest day imaginable, with a couple of tabby sisters ( who are not normally allowed up stairs), a mug of Yorkshire tea, and Radio 4 spouting on about hula hoops.....
Well, to be precise, Janet Ellis on Radio 4 spouting on about hula hoops, ( she of ex "Blue Peter" fame and mum of singer Sophie Ellis Bexter, she of beautiful but strangely trangular Picasso lady face) BUT I am digressing...
I've been below par. Hopefully this low par won't last low very long....I keep thinking about stuff I want/need to do. And as for hula hoops...I never COULD keep the silly things swirling and they always took up too much room in my bedroom and mine got bent, twisted and warped... AND then at school, I usually skidded into them and always went flying dangerously into wallbars ( are you peeping, MR??) when we used them as "bases" for games in the gym......Silly lethal things hula hoops and Janet Ellis should've known better...a whole 1/2 hour programme on 'em, what next, and there's poor me, feeling below par to start with ..??
I AM RANTING. Well, grousing..HOWEVER:I turned poor Janet off. On my quilt lay the latest copy of " Mslexia" magazine ( see http://www.mslexia.co.uk/ ) If you've not met her, Mslexia is a magazine "for women who write." She's encouraging, illuminating and she publishes both new and established writers. Helen Dunmore ( " Zennor in darkness" : brilliant) says she's " astute/invigorating"...Enough: I've surely whet your appetite by now..
SO I flipped through. On p 15, I read "10 Top Tips: New Year Writing Resolutions"...excellent ones, commonsensical ones ( NOT as easy to put into practice as one thinks, but all valuable and worth bearing in mind)......Stuff like:Develop a habit( this means write daily, I hasten to add.....something I certainly dont do) OR Edit " ferociously" ( WHO once said:" Kill Your Darlings"???...a marvellous phrase) OR Invest in a notebook you love..the list went on, much pretty obvious, but I for one need telling..
THEN I glanced back on my own post about NYear and resolutions and stuff and HORROR of HORRORS.....I realised although I'd mentioned parties and dinners etc, I never mentioned several fabulous New Years we've spent with friends JM and RW. I'm sure RW never reads m'blog but JM does (occassionally) and I know she'd read that particular one...so aplopogies to you both and I must say how much we enjoyed: Provence ( JM's friend's medieval apartment carved into rocks, where we arrived at midnight, stared across balcony across dark Med to the flickering lights of Corsica...) and of course St Ives, Cornwall...HA! are you peeping Minx??... ( the craziest beach party imaginable... as we sloped at the harbour by the Sloop Inn....the whole world in fancy dress.... 7 drunken penguins flapping along the shoreline, followed by 6ft Queen Mum with tiny corgi; "she" a huge Rugby playing type in pink " duster coat") and then there were two trips to S Ireland ( Galway, great pubs with great music.. and Wicklow...where we gatecrashed a dance at the Vardy (?) Social Club and were accused of being yet another film crew....


SO THAT Omission , Folks, will teach me to think more about what I'm writing AS I write it ... yet another New year Resolution for me ...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drunken penguins!

Yes, how could you forget?

11:23 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Wow that's an impressive list of places.

I hope you feel better soon.
I had a submission to Mslexia but it lapsed last year. I do like the annual poetry competition edition.

5:36 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hula Hoops? Oh no! Dratted things, I could only ever make a twit of myself with one wiggling precariously around my skinny nine year old hips. Just please don't tell me they're making a comeback!

How you're soon feeling very much better!

7:32 pm  
Blogger Philippa said...

New Year resolutions? We all start with good intentions, but do they really last? I suppose it's all to do with fresh starts, new beginnings and helps to make us all feel good about ourselves after all the indulgences of the festive season. I'm trying for something a little different this year: get up earlier when I'm on (school) holidays, even if it is only to sit in the garden & linger over my first cuppa of the day. Roll on half term!

2:00 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

I remember a hula hoop craze when I was at primary school - I was the only one who could never quite get the hang of it.

3:36 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Well I've got the pretty notebook...
I can't help but remember Robbie Williams' very unkind comment about Sophie E.B.: that she had a 'face like a satellite dish.'

6:30 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
I couldn't!

Apprentice:
Think that's the next copy?

Vanilla:
Think my hips would get stuck in one now!

Philippa:
Lovely.
And wintery gardens JUST as gorgeous as summery ones....rather like us women, don't you think??!

Catherine:
Well, that ties in with your own comments on your blog!!
Good to see you, Catherine.

Lucy:
Wow.
Robbie's some gentleman, isnt he?
Maybe he's confused between satellite dishes and Angels.

9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home