Saturday, December 15, 2007

"This Thing Called Christmas"

OK, I was a cynic last posting but despite what I say now, I still maintain I had a point.
However, nevertheless:
Writer Julie Myerson brought a lump to my throat 1st thing this morning.
Like Monday, I was huddled in bed with the Times ( R out already, lost in frost in his balaclava on the golfcourse) but there was no lack of heating in my house today; I was simply enjoying being comfy with tea, toast and Lorna's Coniston honey.
So I read. And Myerson had written a piece ( with other writers) entitled " Going Home", ie what we all tend to do at Christmas, whether literally back to our roots along the motorways, or if we're elsewhere, having that annual look into the shadows of our minds, the shifting and sifting through the cobwebs of memory.
At the close of her piece , Myerson told of a Christmas walk; three people and a dog, "as day tipped into dusk". It had been an "ordinary" family Christmas but, she says, :" that frozen field, the strange blend of our voices as sky drained of light, has settled in my memory as a high point. ....I remember being entirely, dizzingly happy." ......

And you know JUST what she means. You see that icy landscape, hear those voices and you know just what she means about high points because you remember your own high points, your own personal definitions of Christmas magic..

12 Comments:

Blogger Philippa said...

"My thing called Christmas" You are so right, Jan; Christmas is a time when we remember our past, our favourite festive smells, our favourite tree decorations, our memories......I love the smell of cinnamon, of 'real' tangerines, like those we used to find in the very toes of our stockings (hung on real chimney breasts!). Turkish delight, brazil nuts, waking up in the night to see if Santa has been, giblet gravy, a walk in the snow, tea at nana & grampy's........

6:32 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Lovely!
You have a charming, memorable Christmas with your nearest and dearest, won't you?

2:15 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Philippa:
The 3 Aunts Ethel, Ruby and Florrie featured for years in OUR Christmases (as you know!)
Many a Christmas Day saw me and R sizzling about in the kitchen wearing huge pinnies/silly hats fiddling about with turkey carcass and roasting tins and dead brussel sprouts.. while my folks, plus the aunts and the children laughed like clowns at Morecambe and Wise...

CB:
Merry Christmas to you on the other side of the world!
Good to hear from you again and shall call on you ASAP!

6:52 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Merry Christmas-to-come, Jan! And I hope it will have some golden moments and silly hats...

7:13 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

That is lovely isn't it? There's something about that Christmas stillness.
Good to catch up, Jan. I've been around but without enough time to read and comment properly.

8:12 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
I shall let you know!
How about your Christmas all those miles from mine?
Hope it's fun

Lucy:
The days betwixt Christmas and New Year are magic....that's when the silence in late pm is its most fetching...sky often violet and purple, ingigo, pink splashes over the WElsh Hills...

8:35 am  
Blogger Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Hi,thanks for your comment on mine. I loved your last two blogs too (havent had time to read any more yet). I also had a gentle go at Christmas a few blogs ago, not that I dont love it I just get annoyed by the fantasy perfection peddled in magazines!
From your comment below about the Welsh hills I agree that we must be loosely in the same area.
Look forward to reading more.

11:25 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is the thing about Christmas, isn't it, it brings back memories, both good and bad and whatever was most prevalent is that which seems to carry itself forward through the years.

Have a wonderful and very happy Christmas.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Jon M said...

The link with the past. Christmas is a time machine. The ghosts of all those who have gone before, flit through our memories.

I like Christmas pud too.

Merry Christmas, Jan!

1:27 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Elizabeth:
Good seeing you and hope you visit again!

Vanila:
You are absolutely right.
I do hope yours are happy thoughts, memories..

JonM;
I love that....:" Christmas is a time machine"
NOW continue the poem, sir!

6:30 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Yes, it was lovely--Christmas Eve was many marvelousnesses, and the Day was good (too many presents, of course), and then there was the Boxing Day party...

6:02 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
Sounds fun AND mysterious!
My mind is boggling.
Thanks Marly.

9:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home