Friday, December 07, 2007

" Welcoming Harriet"

Monday was special for two Liverpool solicitors; their baby daughter was born.
I'll meet her at Christmas when she'll be 3 weeks old.
She has lots of dark hair and the littlest of feet; so says my younger son, of his brand new niece.

Little feet. I remember my own firstborn's little feet. I have very small hands but I sat up in bed in the dark hospital night and I cradled those feet in my hands and I loved their softness, their texture, their smell of newness; such perfection. Hmm. Sounds mushy, but it was lovely and I don't aplogise!

Years on, I wrote this; I don't often write poetry but something drove me to this. It's called " His Boots".

"I dropped them at the station...
him in his boots, hefty size ten.
My son, and the girl with the lights in her hair.
Back-packs, a Turkish skull cap
( And him, in his boots)

And then in my mind's eye, I pictured:
his feet.
In my hands, I once stroked their newness..
toes, nails, like pale cream shells,
rosy heels, small;
Years ago.

For the London train
I dropped them at the station,
the girl with the lovely eyes
and him, in his boots, hefty size ten.
End of their holiday,
end of Easter: beginnings.

Leaving with laughter,
Elizabeth
( and him, in his boots)

And the thing is , L+N ( if you're peeping) it'll seem like no time at all before H is wearing the highest of heels, the clumpiest of boots....so tickle her feet and enjoy every minute..

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the sweep of time and the refusal to mourn it!

2:15 pm  
Blogger Philippa said...

Harriet, what a lovely name.Yes, time will fly so quickly. I can't believe Charlotte & Suraj's son, Lucas, will be one on Monday. Tickle her feet, rub her tiny hands, stroke her soft little head & smell that lovely 'talcy' (don't think such a word exists but i like it!)skin. Enjoy!
We're off to see Led Zeppelin on Monday. I am SOoooooo excited!

10:28 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

Congratulations to the new parents and the proud grandma

3:25 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
Your usual wonderful Way With Words!

Philippa:
Enjoy Led Zep.
No doubt the injured finger recovered.
Think a certain son nicked my album (the black/white one with the special cover..) yrs ago and now you cant get them for gold dust..
I'll meet H at Christmas at R's place and yes, I'll give her feet a tickle!
R read this blog yesterday and said that H's feet are looking bigger but he added that "in the scheme of things" they're still amazingly small...

Catherine:
Think you were a bit confused ...Im not the grandma, in fact she's my son's niece by his marriage and therefore no relation to me!
Good to see you and hope you're enjoying happy memories of your travelling to UK.

8:20 am  
Blogger Catherine said...

What a lovely, moving post, Jan. How lovely to have a new baby to spend time with at Christmas. Enjoy. Love the boots!

2:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute to a new life, Jan - loved the poem - wonderful memories.

Good to have you back.

7:36 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks Marianne and Vanilla!!

12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home