Thursday, August 28, 2008

" The Times We Live In" ( part 2: 14 Months Later!)

It's cool getting compliments. And it's extra cool when they come from one's son. One of mine says he REALLY liked my June 19th (20007!) posting ( " The Times We Live In") when I trawled the Times for juicy news.

SO in his honour, I had another go today, while eating lunch and watching the return from maternity leave of Newsreader Sophie (who looks very well; I like her blonder look) as she read The One Oclock News . Here goes. I hope that son of mine is concentrating.

Hmm. Boodles is selling a twirl of diamonds on a delicate platinum chain ( from £9000) Sorry, I got stuck on page 3; it's an Ad, obviously, and its gorgeous glitter socked me in my eye. But forget that.

This One Is Important: Foreign Secretary David Miliband has a new haircut. He's lost the famous white tuft at the front of his fringe. I bet he looks about 17 now.

AND did you know: M/Chester is 2nd Happiest Place In Britain ( after Powys, Wales)?? A Powys inhabitant says: " We don't have a single Tesco ( though we've planning permission ) and we don't have M&S. Perhaps that helps." ......
Oh Dear! I can name a few Per Una-ites who'd be far from happy about that. There'll be a lack of colourful cardigans/merry mismatched buttons / floaty assymetrical skirts on the average Powys sheepfarm . But then what they've not had, I don't suppose they miss.

The research is by folk from Sheffield and M/Ch (!) Unis; they assessed data from the British Household Panel Survey and the last census. I won't say who was bottom, just that It Wasn't In England, Wales or Ireland...

NEXT: A doctor who can't hear is actually leading research into ear cells that hold a cure to deafness. That's fantastic! He's John Brigande of Oregon and he hopes very much for success in his lifetime. I nearly said" I bet he does" ( but then I didn't) Hopefully this work will aid tinnitus sufferers too; I know this can be a nightmare.

Back to Politicians: it seems ***( see end of post) Mayor Boris, criticised for his flapping jacket at the Olympics Closing Do, said: " I reached instinctively for my middle button and then thought, sod it!" So his jacket flapped as well as his hair... but he did a great job flapping the flag, didn't he?

Now A Serious Note: A Ryanair plane flying to Ireland had to land in Germany: mushroom soup leaked on a passenger from an overhead locker, causing him/her to suffer an allergic reaction...( glad it wasn't leek??) Hmm. Oh Dear.

NEXT: The brilliant Matthew Parris has discovered The Best Age Of All. It's 59. Did YOU know? And to celebrate this birthday, he's horsetrekked, paraglided, chased alligators, caved with vampire bats ( that's just for starters) Until now, Parris thought no age could beat 18. THIS such positive news is heartwarming and will be appreciated by many..

WORLD NEWS: An elderly lady at a Stockholm airport, was whisked down a luggage shoot by accident. She got her check-in instructions wrong. She lay down on the belt but was discovered in time.Perhaps she was just tired with all the hanging about.

And a Swiss Witch ( try saying that!) beheaded in 1782, has been exonerated. It was declared that Anna Goldi, last woman beheaded in Europe as a witch, had been a victim of " judicial murder". I hope her family is pleased.

AND in Times2, there's a great piece by Alice Thomson. She writes about the raising of boys in today's society. It's worth reading . Having had brother/sons/grandson, I feel that so much of it is SO right.

AND TO FINISH: see " The Last Word": It quotes an African proverb: " If your mouth turns into a knife, it will cut off your lips..."
Scary, but true...

**And back to Mayor Boris: his " Who Do You Think You Are?" on TV last week, gave an inkling into a rather different guy than the one we think we know. It was more revealing than it realised.

14 Comments:

Blogger Philippa said...

Lots of juicy news here, Jan. You are a martyr to the literary cause. I'm not sure that I agree with Powys being the happiest place to live, they do have an awful lot of rain there, but so does Manchester doesn't it? Maybe sunshine isn't all that good for you after all! And, yes, Boris's ancestry was fascinating.

9:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am concentrating! Thanks for the round up. Boris's flag and jacket flapping and Jimmy Page's bus top guitaring made me proud to be British!

More of these please...

Rx

10:32 am  
Blogger dinzie said...

I look forward to the magical age of 59 !! :O) But really I an wait :O)

D

2:12 pm  
Blogger Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I love that African proverb, so clever and so true.

2:31 pm  
Blogger Sarah Laurence said...

Jan, your post reminds me how much more entertaining the news was, at least in its presentation, in the UK.

6:15 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Your son is right - you do this so well! I enjoyed reading the paper with you! Very amusing and informative along the way as well.

3:25 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

What a fine pot pourri. We felt quite proud of shambling Boris.

I thought all executed witches were victims of judicial murder?

1:58 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Under torture, Anna Goldi had admitted to putting needles in the bread and milk of her employer. Obviously a witch who deserved her fate????

6:54 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Great run down here. I so agree about Boris. I know I am being lazy but Litfest sounds good, when? where? Will come if I am about.

11:45 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

A brilliant resume Jan. Good to know there is something to look forward to - 59 sounds great fun, although I'm not doing too badly at the moment, either.

12:18 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Philippa:
Me, a martyr?! If that's so, it's pretty enjoyable!
Good to see you and hope the new academic year a good one for you.

ANON:
You're not so bad at the flapping jkt yourself!X

DINZIE:
Happy 59th Birthday then...whenever it hits you!

DEBS:
Yes. it was.
Thre's one ( a proverb) every day in the Times.

Sarah:
Wonder what you're making of the introduction of Sarh Palin??

Kay:
Thanks Kay and can't get used to referring to you as Kay as opposed to the old CB....!!

Lucy:
Shall have to look up the story in full but sure you have a good point here.
See MInx's comments too.

Minx:
Thanks for this horrific input!!And I tend to agree with you...

Elizabeth:
See www.chesterfestivals.co.uk for more info.
Loely to hear from you.
I gather your time is limited but there may be events you'd particularly like.

Marianne:
Good news and enjoyed hearing from you after so long. Glad all is well.

9:10 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh this is brilliant, Jan! I'm looking forward now to the magical age of 59! :-) I think I'm coming here in future to read the news, far more entertaining!

3:50 pm  
Blogger Kat W said...

That was great - really enjoyed! It would be a great idea if you started a second blog called 'Jan's News' or I'm sure you could think of a better title (but you get the idea). It would mean we could ditch the papers and tv and just visit your blog!

Keep up the excellent work!
Kat :-)

8:12 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Vanilla and KatW:
Thanks!
I'll aim to do another news post more regularly then!
Its actually good fun.
Some amazing stuff jumps out at you when you're trawling...
When I was a kid there was a TV programme called " Stranger Than Fiction" which I suppose proves my point...
DOES anyone reading this blog admit to remembering THAT??!!

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home