Monday, August 11, 2008

"Get Out Yer Wild Tartan, Girls !"



Back to clothes again, folks! I hope you're not TOO bored yet!
BUT I think virtually EVERYONE I know will be OK for Next Season's "Look"..because have you seen the choices?? A myriad, I reckon. ...
YOU can wear "LACE" ( preferably black) or "FORTIES"( cinched waists, longish skirts...I'm OK for hem but I'll be sausage-like waist-wards) or you can wear "TEXTURE" ( with "organic" feel!? ...you're probably best sticking your hands into a feathery nest or stroking Granny's old fur? My cats will Come Up Trumps)
OR you ( yes, you!) can wear "GLAM-TAILORED" ( includes sequinned harem pants? sooooo seductive..) or "GRUNGE"( I'm absolutely OK there..) or "TOWN+COUNTRY" ( NB. Must help my elderly tweed jkt to Johnson's ASAP ) or you can try "THE COCOON LOOK" ( cocoon?? Is it a hat?) ....and Heavens, I nearly forgot THE COSSACK, THE TARTAN and THE LONG LEAN SILHOUEETE...( can't even spell it) but it's me out anyway....

BUT WAIT: I think there's actually even more "looks" to choose... but I'm totally worn out now and I need a cup of tea and the windowcleaner ( a nice Pole in Communist-type blue overalls....hey, THAT'S an idea!) ) is about to want to be paid and ANYWAY, that juicy lot gives you absolute permission to wear absolutely anything you want.
(IF by any chance you're soooo sad that you actually NEED permission to wear anything you want...)

And PS. ( in case they're listening) that excludes all MY friends!
And the Vogue cover is by Norman Parkinson ( Red Rose Aug 1956)

12 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Ah, but some of those looks aren't fashion unless you have the right figure. And the right designer label. I don't think chain store jeans, cheap T-shirts and the like count as fashion. Especially when they are the same clothes as you've been wearing for the past five years :)
(Did I say five? My dressing gown is 25 years old!)
It's not what you wear, it's the way that you wear it..

7:38 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

I garden in my PJs till noon so I think I'm a lost cause ! :)

But even the charity shops do vintage now, which they charge more for.

Did you see that C4 programme about people who decide to live in a past era, clothes, furniture and all? Not sure which era I'd choose, well-heeled 20/30s maybe?

11:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right, I'm ordering a sequined tartan cocoon that feels like baby rabbit fur inside and out--I'll be sleeping in it from January through February and wake to my new winged look some time in March.

6:45 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'd go for the communist-type blue overalls any day of the week.
;-))
Love your blog, Jan. And thank you for your visit.

7:05 am  
Blogger Jon M said...

Hmmm, I think Mrs M might have something to say if I appeared in black lace, or sequinned harem pants...I'll stick to my usual scruff people throw coins at me then...

10:14 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Catherine:
But that's a YOUNG dressinggown....

Apprentice:
Hope they're at least flowery pyjamas!
Didn't see that prog but sounds good.
Think it'd have been fun living in a European city earlier in the last century ( 30's perhaps) although having said that, I'm interested in those VERY early yrs of 20th century.. leading up to World WAr 1.

Marly:
And you'll look brilliant!

Annie Bright:
Hello and nice to make a new contact.

JONM:
So next time we visit Sheldrake's, I'm BOUND to spot you!!

9:02 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Go on JonM, you know you want to...

I thought Cocoon was that movie about the eccentric old biddies that got taken up into space by aliens - I'm quite happy to use them as role models!

9:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why don't they just say, "anything goes". No, wait, of course, not, that's just not glam enough, is it, sweetie dahling! Now I'm going to dig out my sequins and tartan and furs and see if I can scare the checkout girls at the supermarket!

11:49 am  
Blogger Sarah Laurence said...

Jan, you make me laugh. I recently donated my 80’s power suits to the Goodwill charity shop. Somehow I doubt shoulder pads will ever come back. My 11-year-old daughter sometimes calls my wardrobe retro without realizing it really is.

Other than dated clothing, we also seem to share reading taste in common. I love Jane Smiley, Margaret Atwood and Lionel Shriver too. It's so nice to connect with another reader/writer.

I’ll have to show that Beijing protocol (below) to my husband. He teaches Asian politics and is always looking for anecdotes that would appeal to college students.

1:29 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Lucy:
You'll look wonderful!
Very Glad things improving with your fellow.

Vanilla:
Won't you be slightly overdressed for your exotic climate??

Sarah:
Great hearing from you.
And yes, "1000 acres" is one of the best bks I've ever read.
And as for rules for Bejing:watching TV, I'm not really sure just how rigidly they stuck with them!

8:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, a fur hat, a lacy, pointy bra and a kilt are going to make me trendy? Whoo hoo - I'm cutting edge!

8:51 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Cutting edge and very sharp!
Thanks Minx!

8:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home