Monday, June 16, 2008

"Humph: Much Missed In My Kitchen "

We've spent hours at our kitchen table over the years...eating, of course....BUT also laughing with Humphrey Lyttleton and his Radio 4 crew on "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue ". ( www.bbc.co.uk)
THIS was great comedy with wonderful word play...AND also brilliant camaraderie, chaired by the most talented and affable of men. Humph'll be missed in our kitchen... for his music, for his wit and his sheer uniqueness.

Men like Humph attract unique tributes; it seems that after his death in April, flowers were left at Mornington Crescent in London....this was personally honouring the Crescent's legendary fantasy connection ( built up by Humph) in "ISIHAC" ( www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_(game )
AND this reminded me of similar tributes... to comedian Ronnie Barker ( four candles alight on his coffin, four candles flickering in fans' windows.....in honour of Barker's "4 Candles/fork handles sketch ...)
What happy tributes indeed... to deserving and talented personalities...


AND this w/end, Humph was again on the radio in an old recording; he was discussing a fellow Jazz musician called Louis Primo. Primo was from a similar stable as Louis Armstrong ( or should I say "night club"?) in New Orleans..BUT ignorant me had never heard of THIS Primo guy.
BUT sitting at my kitchen table eating scrambled eggs on toast and listening to this superb musician, was a delight. ..
SO:
Thankyou Humph for a great introduction.
It is appreciated....but best of all, it was fabulous hearing YOU in my kitchen again.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Full agreement about the late and very great Humph. I taught his son and met him a couple of times. He was every bit as dry in person as over the air.

Louis PrimA!

6:31 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Dick:
Thanks for the correction!
Yes, I can imagine HL was Totally Himself ( always)

7:02 pm  
Blogger dinzie said...

I miss the great radio over in the UK ... Occasionally I can download stuff over the internet whih is great ... I remember I haven't got a clue ..Also futher back the navy lark and after henry with prunela scales ...........

So many of the great coemdians that brightened up my youth and formed my strange sense of humour have left us ... too few now replace them ...

Yes my Mcdinze is Chief biscuits sister !! :O)

12:02 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

That Mornington Crescent link goes nowhere, or is that the point?!

Great that he was still playing and chairing right up to the end, a good way to go.

5:22 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Dinzie:
What do you New Zealanders make of Peter Kay?!

Lucy:
The best of ways!

9:50 am  
Blogger Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am utterly with you on this - he was just great and I miss him in my car which is where we used to listen every week on the way home. Not many people make me laugh out loud but he did it week in week out.

8:16 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Elizabeth:
I think the secret was the dryness of the humour ( see Dick's comment)
Good to see you.

10:30 am  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

He was much loved here too. I grew up listen to ISIHAC and continued here in Oz via Radio 4 on the net.

He was such a gentle-man and 'the team' always had me aching with laughter.

11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home