Saturday, March 22, 2008

"A Strange and Shivery Season"

IF , like me and family, you'd stalked our City Walls at 11o'clock last night*( six frozen Ghosts of Hamlet's Father, staggering forth on the Elsinore ramparts.)....you'd have been forgiven for thinking you'd landed in Siberia.

BUT stay, illusion!...Since yesterday it's officially been Spring. And this morning there's azzzzure sky, although the milkman still wears his beanie ( a fetching Peruvian patterned one, with swinging platts) and his thick red mittens... and his breath makes more patterns on the garden wall than you could ever either imagine or shake an icy stick at. The cats won't budge from the house, a corgi just strolled past in a quilted coat (accompanied by guy wearing purple balaclava) ... and I've just pulled on the thickest of socks ( "Fatface" ones, of course) over my shivering blue toes.

AND so Blog (who was brought up to believe we in the UK have 4 distinct Seasons) is now utterly confused and has decided to have a week or two in hibernation.
Hopefully when Blog next emerges , the cats will be frolicking under willow trees and I'll be wearing my Teva sandals...
Look forward to seeing you then.

* After meal at excellent Brasserie Chez Gerard, nominated Best Newcomer in the 2008 local Food/Drink Awards. ( Well deserved)

**AND particularly good to hear Ms. RF in NZ scans m'blog occassionally...

11 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Have a good break.

I do like the sound of your milkman!

3:52 pm  
Blogger Jon M said...

Aaaah hibernation! What a civilised idea!

9:48 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

As soon as one establishes a blog, one desires to root it up and go on frolic (in my case, away from the dratted Yankee snows)--

1:33 pm  
Blogger dinzie said...

Brrr - sounds like I'll stay in NZ for a while longer yet then :O)

Though walking the Chester walls would be fun to do again :O)

9:59 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

And here I am still waiting for summer to arrive. However, I guess I'm going to have to accept that it was blown away. Be warm and snug!

1:12 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Have felt the chill too but today was warm. I was working in the garden and even had to take my fleece off - magic.

9:15 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Great to catch up on your news. I've been a bit busy and have missed reading my favs. But it is nice to have some time to d that now.

2:38 am  
Blogger Debra said...

If its any consolation we are also freezing here in Istanbul - but what a contrast as we just got back from a spectacular week in Egypt where we fried in the valley of the Kings and lazed on a cruise ship - will blog it up soon!

7:08 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Lucy:
Is that "clink, clink"!

JonM:
A primitive one, too!

Marly:
A sort of love/hate realationship??

Dinzie:
I think there are sites wher you CAN walk the Chester walls ( while sunning in NZ!)

Vanilla:
Still brr brrr here!

Elizabeth:
THose days are magic...promises, anticipation, good -stuff- to- come...

CB:
WElcome, CB.
Always good to see a staunch supporting Blogger!

Deb:
A friend is off to Egypt from her place in Cyprus very soon; I shall put her in touch with your blog.
This is the marvellous thing for you....not just Turkey but accessibility to all those OTHER places too!

11:39 am  
Blogger Jackie Luben said...

Forget the date. It's still winter in my book. I haven't cast any clouts, and the heating's on. Perhaps we will have a proper summer, for once.

5:41 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Jackie:
Hope so!!
Thanks for calling!

8:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home