Friday, February 15, 2008

"St Valentine's Day...."





Yesterday we went to see David Lean's " Brief Encounter" because this is one of my favourite films of all time. It was made in 1946, in black/white ( which to me is more colourful than colour, if you get my drift...) and it tells of a time when passion was muted ( at least in public...), when women wore tweed suits and stockings (with seams) and many looked pretty and prim.... and men wore sports jackets with leather elbow patches and smoked pipes and many looked handsome ( there's a word...) and soulful...

AND yesterday, at the end of the film, the audience clapped ( they actually clapped) and there was gentle laughter and as the lights went on, everyone was smiling. I saw a red-lipped teenage girl in skintight jeans, stiletto heels, giggling with her pink-cheeked granny.... AND two red-haired thirty-somethings, still in their seats, stroking each other's gorgeous hair as they gazed into each other's eyes.... AND just by the door stood two white-haired guys ( probably 80?) who spoke in booming well-shod voices ...and the smaller one said to the taller one: :" THAT'S how films should be, Charles, that's how films SHOULD be, Charles!"... and the teenage girl giggled some more with her granny and then she caught my eye and her smile was as vivid as Celia Johnson's...

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne Brooke said...

It is indeed such a wonderful film!

A
xxx

10:13 am  
Blogger Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oh yes, my favourite too. i have a real weakness for that sort of leading man - Trevor Howard, Jack Hawkins. Intrigued by your comment about a writing day at Theatre Clwyd below. do they happen often?

4:52 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Lovely - I do like Brief Encounter, a very funny friend years ago once did an impromptu puppet show version with a pair of my bright pink socks. It went
-Hellew
-Hellew.
-I love yew.
-I love yew too.
-Well, goodbye.
-Goodbye.

With the right voices, of course.

Jack Hawkins was lovely, I'm still unsure about Kenneth More...

Sorry about the e-mails you got for me, it sounds like it was my brother Dave, though how they went to your e-mail is a total mystery...

9:10 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

In fact, the more I think about that, the stranger it is... can you forward them to me at lucy-dot-kempton-at-wanadoo-dot-fr?
I'm curious who they did come from.

9:43 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Anne:
Yep!

ElizabethM:
Look at:
www.clwyd-theatr-cymru.co.uk
for lots of info.or you could call 0845 330 3565 for a programme.

Lucy:
Love your dialogue, and that's exactly it!
Keira Knightley was on TV last wk ( talking re "Atonement")..she said the cast all spoke extra fast to get their voices right for that period ( which I suppose is vaguely "Brief Encounter")
AND yes, I think it's sorted now ( email etc)
Thanks for all that!

5:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:01 pm  
Blogger Philippa said...

Brief Encounter, yes a wonderful movie. Did you know that some of it was filmed at Carnforth Station? I gather there is now a museum at the station devoted to the film. Have you been?

9:03 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Not been, Philippa, but know of it.
Rumour had it that the same tea lady had been propped up in a corner there for 50 odd yrs....!

8:16 am  
Blogger Philippa said...

Love the vision of the tea lady! Does she have one of those knitted tea cosies and a 'fag' dangling out of her mouth?

10:22 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Philippa:
No, that's just me this morning...
But seriuosly, the tealady actrss had accent equally "clipped" as Celia J's!...Hmm..although she DID ressssemble Dot(JUne Brown) ...from " EastEnders" a tad!)

10:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home