Sunday, June 22, 2008

"A Story To Grip You!"

On Thursday, I visited the upper room at the "Bear and Billet" for the monthly session of Chester Writers. ( See my post: Oct 20th 07: "A special evening at the Bear and Billet" ) ) A mere 5 members turned up; numbers vary each month.But we sat at the end of a long refectory table in a room with leaded lights and dark oak beams and had a lively evening of reading and listening and talking.
And lots of congratulations to one of the 5: Stanley Salmons recently saw published his "Footprints in the ash" ( UKA Press) a crime thriller set south of Pompeii . It's available through Amazon ( www.amazon.co.uk) see bk jacket (right) also Barnes and Noble. Brilliant news for Stanley ( a professor at Liverpool Uni, see www.stanleysalmons.com/ ) The novel is a superb read...with a fabulous story set in the past, alongside gripping events in the present.
THEN on Friday, a tasty session of "Words and biscuits" writers ( post June 16th 07: "Words and biscuits: some more delicacies") when 7 members met to share stories and poems ( plus juicy news and the strongest of views!) All very different women, in every way imaginable....but we wouldn't be without each other for the world...

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Jan
Have come across your blog via Kat's blog (Wrightstory) as she is my next door neighbour. What sort of things do you do in your tutoring? Kat and I run a Creative Writing club at our kid's school and are always hungry for suggestions/ideas
Michelle

4:18 pm  
Blogger Kat W said...

I love getting together with other writers. It's even better when everyone is so different; inevitably so is the writing and input. Smaller groups also have different dynamics and outcomes to larger gatherings. It can sometimes be a lonely job writing. Blogging, workshops and writing groups are the perfect answer. They are also a great source of inspiration & support. Glad to have found your blog & thanks for visiting my place! Kat :-)

7:21 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Hi Jan
feel a bit shy about asking this but I am wondering if there are any vacancies in any of the writing groups you blog about? I live in North Wales so Chester is about 35 minutes away for me.
No problem at all if that isnt the way it works.
My email address is on my profile if you have time or inclination to respond!
Elizabeth

1:26 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Stanley's book sounds good - thanks for the tip! I'll have to order myself a copy..

8:59 am  
Blogger Jan said...

MIckMouse:
Thanks MIchelle and I'll be in touch ASAP

KatW:
Variety always The Spice Of Life!
A bit busy but shall respond properly when the busyness has a rest ..

ElizabethM;
Yes, I'll be in touch and hope I can help.

ClaRE:
yES, good hearing about success within Chester Writers.

12:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home