Monday, November 16, 2009

"Homage To November"

Yesterday, with Our Friends From The North , we walked near Parkgate on the Wirral peninsula (betwixt Dee/Mersey rivers) with the coast of North Wales beyond.

And as ever ( see post 14:11:08) I delighted in the month of November...its" sheer crazy blueness!"...and again, I thought of poet Thomas Hood.

In 1844, Hood wrote that November had " No sun! No moon!.... No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease"....not forgetting "no shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees....!"

But to me, November LIVES ...with her own colours and excitements, gentle and otherwise.....her enticing frosts (?!) her dark trees etched on purple skyline....her sudden glorious sunshine. And November's unique beauty, that beauty found in decaying things.....

And then today my son reminded me of something special: I'd told him how on Saturday, we'd enjoyed eating with O.F.F.T.N...and my son remembered a similar Saturday evening ( 20 years ago) when the same friends came to stay...and we'd all sat at the same table, toasting the marvellous news of the Fall of the Berlin Wall...

All those lovely patterns, old ones with new ones weaving in.......with friends and seasons.

It's the Stuff Of Life to me!

PS: Try the fish and chip shop at Parkgate. Generous portions....made a delicious Sunday Lunch!

SNAP: Thanks to LC.

4 Comments:

Blogger Helen P said...

I love Parkgate! It reminds me of 1950s Britain which is strange because I was born in the 60s!

1:33 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

I'd love to spend a whole year in the UK, and experience all the seasons - but since that is unlikely, if I do manage to come back, it probably won't be November - more likely September again, or spring (avoiding the peak summer holidays)

6:19 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Helen:
There's a story there somewhere....flitting in and out of time!

Catherine:
And me likewise to your country...

3:10 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Is that you in the photo? You look smashing!

I think all months have something to recommend them, I too love the aspects of November you mention, and here, it's certainly the monthe with the best autumn leaf colours.

It's seven in the morning and my mouth is watering at the thought of fish and chips!

5:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home