Sunday, October 04, 2009

" Jonathan Pryce At Liverpool Everyman"

This is a picture hanging in the foyer of Liverpool's Everyman Theatre.
This year the Theatre celebrates its 45th Birthday and the photo features many actors who were there at the beginning. Stare into these faces. You'll recognise many.
Jonathan Pryce ( fresh from RADA) joined Everyman Company in 1972. And I've long been interested in his career . I knew him years back, when he was John Price from Holywell in Wales...a tall, dark student in Liverpool......when even then, he'd revealed the charisma the world of theatre now knows so well.
Yesterday I visited The Everyman and saw Pryce as Davies the tramp in Harold Pinter's " The Caretaker".
And Pryce (in 1980, he played Mick to Kenneth Cranham's Aston and Warren Mitchell's Davies with the National Theatre) made the part of Davies his very own.
Pryce's Davies was old and Welsh. And he was many other things too...... Pryce's Davies was sly but gentle, witty but sad, forthright but complex....he was resigned and grateful, fiercely angry..... And Pryce's Davies was both bewildered AND bewildering.
Pinter ( before he died last Christmas) knew this production was planned. He'd hoped to see it. Had he done so, he'd have seen how very much this Liverpool audience celebrated Jonathan Pryce's return to his roots... but also how they thrilled to a superb production of one of the most important plays in British theatre.
"The Caretaker" runs at L'pool EverymanTheatre until Saturday October 31st. See http://www.everymanplayhouse.com/
And P.S: Blog was 3 years old on Oct 1st. Time's flown.









9 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Happy birthday blog!

7:38 pm  
Blogger Caroline said...

I worked as an usherette at The Everyman when I was a student. Loved everything about that place.

7:48 pm  
Blogger Jinksy said...

Congratulation on reaching the grand old age of three!

9:58 am  
Blogger Leigh Russell said...

Happy Birthday. How lovely to be three. I met a three year old today who was taking 'Horsey' for a walk... sorry, this is my first visit to your blog and I'm rambling inconsequentially.
What I intended to say was that Jonathon Price is a brilliant actor. I'm passionate about supporting live performance, and real contact between people. We all spend far too much time staring at screens (myself included - here I am - )

10:13 am  
Blogger Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Happy blog birthday. Mine is nearly two years old, though I bet I'll forget when the time comes round.

I love Jonathan Pryce, he's a great actor.

5:51 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

Happy blog birthday, Jan.
I really like Jonathan Pryce ... lucky you knowing him years ago!

7:12 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Catherine:
Thanks!

Caroline:
Hoping to see you at Lit Festival. Hope all is OK with you.

Jinsky:
Slightly more, actually!

Leigh:
Absolutely!

Debs:
Last week's performasnce was memorable...fabulous.

Amanda:
Yes, but I haven't seen him now for COUNTLESS years!

11:06 pm  
Blogger Sarah Laurence said...

Happy 3 Years! I do miss the fabulous theater in England. Fun photo from the past.

12:52 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Sarah:
BUT you've got the most marvellous of compensations where YOU are!

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home