Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Handsome Warwickshire Windmill"





Windmills are the stuff of stories!
I once wrote a story about a family who lived in a windmill. There were 4 children in this family and one night they climbed out of the windows of their windmill and sped round very fast on the sails, each child on their own sail. Eventually the 4 children floated away, each of them landing on a different cloud... and they all had different adventures. I can't remember if the children returned to the windmill.......but I can see it in my mind's eye ( I love that expression!) ....exactly as I imagined it years ago. I was about 8 and the story's long been lost...but my fascination with windmills remains.

And last week, we visited my brother/sisterinlaw in Warwickshire. They live in a pretty village called Harbury, 5 miles from Leamington Spa. Fairly near is Chesterton Windmill, which can be seen from several miles distant. It was built in 1632 for Sir Edward Peyto of Chesterton Manor.... and was used until 1910.
AND I'd love to hear and see those massive sails in movement.......there is something strong and solid and yet graceful about them....and in this changing world of ours, seeing them move on that hill in Warwickshire, would be a timeless and reliable and very soothing a sight!


6 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

Well, surely there's inspiration to write that story from scratch, but with a grown-up perspective.:)

7:00 pm  
Blogger Claire Beynon said...

This is indeed a very handsome windmill, Jan, and I agree, there's something poetic and reassuring about these structures. I feel similarly about lighthouses, too. I read about one (of the latter) that sold for one pound stirling on the internet some years ago; I was sorry to miss out on putting a bid in for it! You certainly visit some enchanting places. Best wishes to you from NZ.

8:38 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

They are much more romantic and stately than their evil cousins, wind farm mills!

10:35 pm  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Wind power.

12:07 am  
Blogger cheshire wife said...

Windmills have a magic all of their own!

9:56 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Jinsky:
Hmm. Yes!Thanks for that.

Claire:
What a home...living in a lighthouse.
There are fewer and fewer these days... and yet theyr'e so much part of history, folk tales and folk lore..

Kay:
Well said! YES!

Herhimnbryn:
Brr! There's a cold wind ablowin...


Cheshire Wife:
Not a lot about in CHeshire , are there??...
OR maybe you know some I don't?!!

5:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home