Monday, October 27, 2008

" Something For Everyone"

Last week, Chester Oyez came chattering into the city as Spoken Word part of Shell Chester Literature Festival 2008....
Some juicy items occurred simultaneously, so I sipped thirstily on those that I could.

Oyez was new to LitFest; hopefully, Cestrians will want more, because it was fun.

You could perform, watch, listen, learn, you could experiment; all these elements were there for the taking. And meanwhile, you could mingle with your old friends, while making some new ones....and best of all, there was lots to ENJOY .

On Saturday, our " Words and Biscuits"gang appeared at Bishops Lloyd's Palace. I then crossed to the Juice Bar, where Cheshire Poet Laureate 2004 John Lindley ( http://www.johnlindley.co.uk/ ) ran an excellent workshop.
Next I joined "Shakespeare on Toast" in the huge StoryTelling Tent on Cathedral Green, with Ben Crystal, son of David Crystal. Then followed a gig run by Cheshire W I's in a city centre church. And to close my Saturday, I enjoyed Open Mic at the Bull and Stirrup, run by students/staff from Chester Uni. All these events were varied, vital and FUN.

Sunday was hectic. First I heard Ayesha Ahmed and her Bangladeshi poetry; it was good seeing Ayesha again as I met her originally when our sons were at school.
After Ayesha, David Gaffney ( http://www.davidgaffney.co.uk/ ) read his short-short stories ( his work features on R3:" The Verb") and then we heard contributions from the University's flash fiction collection ( " Anatomy of Chester" ) And afterwards to the Juice Bar for David Bateman and his poetry workshop, where we concentrated on List poems.
My early evening saw a performance at " Bull and Stirrup" of " One Voice" ( Paul Kelly's Monologues; remember his name, you'll hear it again...) including actors from Tiptop Co. and also local writer Sylvia Jenkins, performing her own stuff.
And all THAT, folks, was only a part of the Oyez programme. ...

It's often said of a Festival:" OOH, there was something for everyone!!" ...
BUT believe me, Oyez made sure there REALLY was...

3 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

There seems to be so much going on in Chester. I must visit one day. You are busy, Jan!

1:21 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What Marianne said!

11:31 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Good to see you!

5:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home