Sunday, May 06, 2007

"Ambling About In Umbria"


I've just spent five days in Umbria with husband, son R, future daughterinlaw K.
We stayed in this lovely old farm house between Florence and Rome.
The countryside is gorgeous, the hilltop towns are magical.
We have relaxed and ambled and read and drunk and eaten ( oh yes, we've eaten...)
We are already planning a return..
PS. While in Italy, I read " Digging to America" by Anne Tyler.
It's a wonderful study of family; it paints a portrait of its complex relationships, countless celebrations, the ties of siblings, the love of parents, the loss of our loved ones. It introduces inlaws, ( and occassionally, outlaws) shows us the irresistible joy of family, the aching tensions, loyalties, jealousies, the untold delights...it's ALL there.
AND it's also a social and cultural commentary on life in modern day America.
But to me it was principally an accurate and astute word painting.... a picture of the frailty of family, and above all, its beautiful strength.

17 Comments:

Blogger carole said...

It looks idyllic! I wondered why you'd gone quiet. I feel sure you'll have been collecting material in a place like that.

7:33 am  
Blogger Anne Brooke said...

Wow! Looks wonderful. Lucky you. And I love Florence - it's the best city in the world!!

:))

A
xxx

8:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Jan, looks like it was well away from everything too.

9:16 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks fabulous. was it warm enough to use the pool?

9:17 am  
Blogger Catherine said...

Good to see you back, Jan. Lucky you. Sounds like a magical break.

10:38 am  
Blogger I Beatrice said...

How you do get about, Jan! And to my own favourite part of the world this time too. The place we go to is on the hills outside Lucca, between Pisa and Florence - and we will be there again in August ( I hope to take Beatrice, Mr P et al along with me!)

Thank you for your lovely comment on mine, by the way. I have repsonded to it (selfishly!) on my own site.

And am just about to post a piece about God on my 'Just Blogging' page.

(I do stick my neck out, don't I?)

11:24 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Sounds perfect, good time to go before it get too swelteringly hot - but then you could just get wrinkly in the pool.

2:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Peace.

2:22 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Carole:
No writing, just read, but my head was filling up...( hopefully!)

Anne:
Never been to Florence, but intend to.

Clare:
Yes, very isolated.
Wonderful silence..

Liz:
Water freezing, absolutely.
BUT I have a very brave husband!

7:46 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Marianne:
Yes thankyou.

Beatrice:
I shall catch it ASAP.

Apprentice:
Too cold to get in but it looks good in the pictures, doesn't it?!

Minx:
Nothing like it, is there?!

8:15 pm  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Sigh!
Italy
Good company
Good food
and a good book.

11:28 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Oh it all sounds quite divine!
Anne Tyler is a fav of mine - I liked her Accidental Tourist v much - and her story about the woman who walked away from her family - can't remember the title now.
Now that is something you and I are NEVER going to do eh Jan?!

12:05 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

herhimnbryn:
You're quite right!

CB:
You've got ME weighed up alright!

10:37 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Jan,

How delicious! Going away is so pleasant... I'm back; the house is a mess; I shall never be out from under it all, etc.

3:25 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly:
Great to hear you...HELLO!

9:44 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

I'm going away for a few more days, and then shall come home to stay for a good long while. Then I shall finish the vicarious trip!

12:01 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Cheers, Marly!

8:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home