Sunday, April 22, 2007

"Happy Days Are Here Again..."


Oh Dear.
I hope I haven't depressed folk with my red-cheeked, red-hatted Picasso and all my talk of teeth, swollen faces, cancelled parties, the eating of rice puddings...
I'm feeling better. MUCH. In fact, I'm feeling pretty good this evening.
Thankyou for your comments and I hope everyone has a happy and healthy week.
PS: I watched Stephen Fry's new TV series "Kingdom"; he plays an East Anglian solicitor with a high-powered cast including Celia Imrie, Hermione Norris, and youthful Karl Davies as his articled clerk ( he's superb).
This 1st parter was all rather mild, pleasant, luke-warm; ideal Sunday evening viewing if you'd strenuously dug your garden all day ( I hadn't) OR scaled Mt Snowdon ( I hadn't) OR even ironed a month's worth of shirts ( I CERTAINLY hadn't)
BUT there was a wonderful line which I wanted to share:
Kingdom (alias Fry), with both his eyes and his voice enormous, said to Lyle ( alias Davies ): "YOU have mastered the art of "Yourselfness" ..."
YOURSELFNESS?
I can think of 5 people ( straight off ) who have this quality in abundance.
They're lucky and brave and life-enhancing.
They are independent souls who brighten the world purely by Being Themselves.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anne S said...

Glad you're feeling better, Jan. Love the photo at the top.

6:52 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks, Anne.
He lives an extremely relaxed life in my garden.
He is,without doubt, Himself.
Absolutely.

11:25 am  
Blogger Tania Hershman said...

Jan - glad you are feeling better. And thanks for the heads-up about Kingdom, not living in the UK I don't hear about good tv but I do have ways and means to get hold of these programmes, so will "procure " it nefariously.

I love that word, Yourselfness, I think I will be contemplating that for a while. Being yourself, true to yourself. If only it was as easy at it sounds!

1:38 pm  
Blogger Jackie Luben said...

Glad to hear you're better Jan. I also heard the report about CJD. Isn't it funny how much dentistry has been on the radio this week. Mine isn't sorted yet, but I don't think root canal work is on the agenda.

3:48 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

So glad you're feeling better, nothing worse than that kind of pain.

I like Stephen Fry, I saw the trailer but missed this programme.
Celia Imrie is always good value.

A friend of mine, whose cancer progressed to her brain, said she was worried about was losing the "meness of me", which amounts to same thing I think.

5:57 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Titaniawrites:
I agree it's hard ( being true to self) but I reckon it's something we need to do.... because in the end, it's probably part of the secret of our happiness...
Oh yes, I've read lots of fairy tales, legends, myths over the yrs...!

Jackie:
Hope it's sorted soon. Good luck.
Glad you're avoiding the dreaded RCT.

Apprentice:
Our " Meness" ; it's indefinable yet it's instantly recognisable, isn't it?
And yes, Celia Imrie is excellent. She's one of those actresses who blossoms as they age, who appear to have no difficulty in finding parts which they mould beautifully..she has a coyish kind of confidence.
Brilliant with Victoria Wood in " Dinner Ladies"!

10:38 pm  
Blogger Philippa said...

Have been meaning to ask where you got this wonderful bear from.... I have a perfect spot in my garden for one!

9:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home