Monday, April 30, 2007

"A Mother, A Grandma...And Now There's A 'Queen Mum' In Paperback..."


Great!
We're looking forward to October.
Kate Long's coming to our Festival, and so is...** ( see end of Post )
Kate Long has excellent reviews.
Here's a handfull:
The Guardian: " extremely enjoyable...funny, perceptive" ( Bad Mothers Handbook)
The Independent:" blunt good humour and style" ( Swallowing Grandma)
And The Times on Queen Mum :" Long is not afraid to take on darker issues".
This is true.
In her books, we see those intriguing patterns families make over generations, we look at the changing lives of women , we look at Class ( in our "classless" society..)
And we look too at the tragic death of a child.
Kate is also a very agreeable lady. She's already visited our Festival; she joined a Writers Panel (Adele Geras, Jane McNulty, Margaret Murphy) for a lively afternoon re writing.
And another occassion, Kate kindly had a fun session with my writing group; we laughed a lot and talked a lot and certainly, we learned a lot.
And so, good news, Kate returns in October to run a creative writing session as part of the Festival!
Please See:
**also coming to the Festival: Oliver James ( "Affluenza" ) Jenny Colgan, Rhabbi Lionel Blue and undoubtedly more......

15 Comments:

Blogger Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

Thanks for the info, Jan. I don't know Kate Long but I shall look forward to reading her.

1:40 pm  
Blogger Vanessa Gebbie said...

Enjoy, Jan.

Kate is a lovely lady... she is one of the site experts on the writers' site WriteWords.

I'm sure she will be both interesting and helpful.

vanessa

9:42 am  
Blogger Catherine said...

Now, if it was September, there might have been a chance I could pop in :(

12:09 pm  
Blogger madame helena said...

Where might I purchase a copy of Queen Mum by Kate Long ???

Would love to gift this book to my very own 'Queen Mum' for Mother's Day !!!

1:06 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Lizzie:
You'll like!

Vanessa:
Yes she is.
We had a lovely pm with her when she came to my writing group so looking forward to her session in Oct.
Shall be visiting you again ASAP!

Catherine:
Pity, Catherine.
The Festival runs throughout most of October.
When are you coming to UK?

Helena:
Disappointed because no profile available!
You can buy all Kate's books through www.amazon.co.uk
or good book shops.
BUT I think you're a little late for Mothers Day this year?!
How about a birthday?!

1:38 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Something to look forward to in your autumn!

7:10 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Jan just to let you know - You're tagged! (Go see on my 'Stone Walls in the Mist' post.)

2:47 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Sounds good, Jan, I'm quite envious! I rather like Lionel Blue too.
I like reading book recommendations; one of the things I still miss a bit is bookshops and libraries, although now there are so many books being published, you don't know where to start even in a bookshop; Amazon's fine if you know what you're looking for, so if someone tells me about something it gives a place to start.
Thanks for your visits to mine, much appreciated.

5:35 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Sounds a great event. I meant to post about your meeting Jenny Joseph. I suppose a poet must get as sick of a successful poem as a singer-songwriter does of a hit song.

Sheenagh Pugh devotes a page to her poem Sometimes on her website just to save her having to talk about it anymore.

12:29 pm  
Blogger Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

Jan, I hope you don't mind, but I've just organised my blog roll for the 1st time & I have included you. Is that O.K.?

Be back soon to visit.

7:37 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wondering whether we'll still be in the UK in October........soun ds brilliant :-)

4:57 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sounds brilliant Jan. Wish I lived closer - I would love to take a creative writing course - one of these days I will get around to it. Along with completing my interior design course, brushing up my very rusty french, oh and studying homeopathy which I find absolutely magical.

Kate Long sounds like a good read. I shall look out for her.

Do check out Patteran on my links when you have a moment. He writes beautiful spare poetry. I think you will like it.

5:24 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

CB:
Thanks CB and honoured to be "tagged" although as I've been away, have only JUST discovered it!

Lucy:
Yes and there's a lot more "good stuff" coming in the Festival.
Do you get to UK much to wallow in Book Shops?

Apprentice:
Thanks for telling me about the Sheenagh Pugh poem.
I'll check it out.

Lizzie:
Yes, of course and I'm pleased you'd like to.

Liz F:
It must be an exciting ( yet nerve-wracking ) time for you at the mo.

Marianne:
You sound very busy with nice things!
Yes, I'll check out Patteran ASAP.

8:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers, Jan! Looking forward to it.

2:37 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Kate:
Thankyou for this!
Looking forward to your session very much indeed.

8:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home