Thursday, April 26, 2007

"There, As Promised..."


This book is superb**. This book is a pleasure.
This book provokes our thoughts.
This book contains life-affirming poetry.
And we could do with lavish dollops of that, couldn't we?

This book is an international collection of vibrant poetry for all to read.
And I think " all" means "all".

This little poem is "Happiness" by Stephen Dunn:

"A state you must dare not enter
with hopes of staying,
quicksand in the marshes, and all

the roads leading to a castle
that doesn't exist
But there it is, as promised,

with its perfect bridge above
the crocodiles, and its doors forever open"

I suppose life can be a fairytale even for grownups.
( If only for a while, for a glimpse...)
** "Staying Alive: real poems for unreal times" edited by Neil Astley (Bloodaxe)

11 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Sounds a treat.
I have enjoyed looking over your recent blogs which, having been out of action, I have missed - I need to come back and read some more at my leisure - something to look forward to. You have been busy!!! Lots of writing - great!

5:36 am  
Blogger Cathy said...

I LOVE that book..and the sequel 'Being Alive' They really introduced me to poetry when I started doing creative writing courses.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Noted, thanks.

8:06 pm  
Blogger carole said...

Another book to buy! I'm unsure why I haven't bought either 'Being Alive' or 'Staying Alive' as so many people have recommended them. I certainly like the poem you've put on your blog.

9:36 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this Jan. You are fast becoming a reference point!

I have also read the story below which I really enjoyed. I hope you are going to aim some of that talent at some of the competitions that are around the blogs. Clarity of Night has just closed, but Moontopples is just about to start a new one and Skintwriter has a closing date in June

11:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then there's 'The Bloodaxe Book of 20th century Poetry', available here - http://www.bloodaxebooks.com/

6:36 am  
Blogger Jan said...

CB:
Hello! Your wedding pictures were brilliant. What a spot too!

Cathy:
Yes, I use them a lot, particularly in my classes...do you think Bloodaxe will produce a 3rd??
Fingers X!

Lucy:
Hope it's useful.

Carole:
We can't have too much "happiness" can we?!

Minx:
AS I said to Lizzie, I'm hopeless at entering stuff in competitions etc but shall have to get cracking..
Hmm.Hmm.

Dick:
Yes, another superb collection.
Thankyou.

9:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jan, again thanks for reminding me that I must read more poetry :-)

Ditto what Minx said......enter your work!

7:09 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Hello Liz
Looking forward to promised Hello style writeup on your Bog!

6:56 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

I've read "Being Alive" which I borrowed from our local library. Some great poems in there. Sadly I'm a bit short of "book money" at the moment.

12:08 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Catherine:
Suggest it as a birthday present or Christmas...it's certainly worth having if you can.

1:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home