Friday, September 28, 2007

"I've Been Tagged!"

Liz at http://lizfenwick.blogspot.com/ has tagged me. It's quite a long tag. And Liz, I've got lots on today; even as I write, I should be elsewhere, looking intelligent with makeup on ( No comment) so I'm attempting only part of it. Please forgive me, Liz.
It's this: What 5 books have been particularly meaningful?
Lots, I suppose, so I'm just skimming, rescuing ones that jump out immediately. I've probably left out life-changing reads which I'll remember as I drive into town. And no doubt I'll wake up in the early hours and think: " Wow! I didn't mention....!"


"The Tale Of The Flopsy Bunnies" by Beatrix Potter: its vocab gave me my first interest in "words". Its delicate illustrations ( which I studied for hours in detail) intrigued. But those soporific rabbits... I was 5 and I loved it.

"Little Women" by Louisa M Alcott: borrowed from the library when I was 10. I cycled home with a clutch of books wobbling around in a basket on my handlebars. I'll never forget my pride as I showed my choice to my mother; she'd loved the book, and was thrilled that I'd discovered it too. I felt "womanly" for the first time, like I'd joined an exclusive club.

"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte: I read this when I was seventeen and supposedly in love with a boy from a nearby school; in reality, I was crazy about someone else. He was a very different kettle of fish. I shall say no more. We met only occassionally. Only one friend ever knew. The passion of both story and characters was exactly right at this dodgy time.

"We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. This book knocked me out. There's a scary, wonderful plot; family stuff that shocked me to my socks**. It's superbly written and I read it over 24 hours and was bereft at its close.

"Cat's Eyes" by Margaret Atwood. A middle-aged artist in Toronto examines the spectre of her schoolgirl relationships. It's Atwood at her best; empathic, lovely writing. So much to recognise.

OK. 5 books. Please can 5 other folk have a go at 5? I tag: Lucy, Suffolk Mum, Chief Biscuit, Stay At Home Dad, and Watermaid. Hard to choose, so if anyone else wants a go, please do!
** I buy my socks from a shop called Fatface. They're usually stripy, great colours and they're the comfiest fit for any foot anywhere.
AND PS: Please can someone comment on our fabulous Literature Festival ?! It starts in earnest on Monday and there's stuff going on that will suit everyone. (see my blog posted on Wed 19th for lots of detail)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
I have much more time now as I've completed the final assignment for my C20th Literature course. I've visited Liz's blog and collected the other questions. I'm afraid that some of the books you've chosen were also meaningful for me.

10:53 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Thanks Jan I will get on to it as soon as I can.
Have loved catching up on your latest posts - the descriptions of the foxgloves and the autumnal wonder was mugnificent!
Enjoy the Festival - certainly sounds wonderful.

11:26 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Thanks Jan ( and I loved the last two posts too).
This is a really nice one, but I'm not good with quick answers on such things, so it may take a little while.

6:50 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jan, I loved reading your choices :-)

8:28 am  
Blogger Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, Wuthering Heights is sooo great - I loved that book! And the Shriver one is marvellous too.

:))

A
xxx

8:40 am  
Blogger Jon M said...

Caroline tagged me on this one! I suppose this means I've got to go out and read 5 books now! Damn!

6:17 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got tagged with this one - only it had more questions - will be doing it for the next post ;-)

7:09 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

cats eye - brilliant! I love that book too. That painful schoolgirl bullying....eek!

We need to talk about Kevin - I loved that to start...but started to feel a bit weighed down by the denseness of the language. I might pick it up again and have another go.

4:17 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Watermaid:
Good luck with your course.
I'd like to do something like that.
Keep thinking about it.

CB:
Mugnificent to see you, CB!
I'm hoping to get your latest book.

Lucy:
Just nice to hear you, Lucy.

Liz:
Glad you liked them!
It's always difficult choosing from lots of wonderful stuff, isn't it?
Hmm. Rather like a favourite menu..

Anne:
Yes, LShriver has a newish one out which I'd like to read.

JonM:
Good luck, sir!
Nice to see you.

Vanilla:
I'll catch you then.
THoroughly enjoying your posts.

Rebecca:
Do have another go at Kevin.
And yes, the Mgt Atwood is wonderful.
A cast of characters we recognise, feel for.

8:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home