Saturday, June 16, 2007

" Words And Biscuits....Some More Delicacies"



Yesterday in a pretty Edwardian house near the river, several women, collectively called " Words And Biscuits", met up for the afternoon...
And on the way home, we were remembering:
In the frosty first week of a new Millenium, I wrote nine letters to nine friends.
All were women, all very different ( their ages, interests, lives generally...) but all enjoyed writing.
In those days, I was computer illiterate:
I was SCARED stiff of my husband's mouse ( eek!)...
AND emails, I said, were for teenagers/tycoons only...
AND Windows were something you looked through and cleaned ( hmm....occassionally)
BUT
I had a gut feeling ( and my gut feelings are actually often right)
I had a gut feeling that these particular women would "bond", would ignite each other's creativity, would also appreciate a very good laugh together.
SO..... with my best black italic pen, I got busy writing those letters and THIS was my suggestion: that we meet up every month or so, at home, to share our work and also our friendship.
And seven years on, we go from strength to strength. We really do.
There are nine of us now ( one went to NZ) and some are poets, some write prose and some dabble in both. And our work is diverse and so, too, are our successes, aspirations, our experience...
We've been broadcast on BBC NW radio ( ten times) and we've done gigs for our LitFest Friends and for a varied selection of Cheshire W.I's. ( see Archives, Feb 7th: " Singing Jerusalem in Saughall Village)
We've had happy times and sad ones, we've occassionally shed tears, we've often been helpless with laughter...and we've written and read and sipped tea and gorged on biscuits.
We met yesterday, just six of us this time and yet again, shared a lovely few hours...

SO: Words And Biscuits! Long May We Scribble And Nibble!!
The print is by Privat Livemont.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

You lucky, lucky girls, you!

10:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds very jolly and satisfying, Jan. And makes me think wistfully of cities.

6:14 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:02 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

2nd go, folks as I left 1/2 the 1st go out...

Lucy:
Yes, we sometimes actually SAY how lucky we are...
As a group of very "mixed" women, we gell well....that's not always the case with groups of women, so we DO realise it's pretty precious..

Marly:
"Think wistfully of cities"....
There's something rather lovely about that line, Marly. Thanks.

3:06 pm  
Blogger jarvenpa said...

what a delicious endeavor. I remember when I replied to an editor who wanted me to submit my columns on disc that as far as I was concerned, discs were related to certain flowers, like daisies, and used to describe the wee flowers at the middle.
and now--ah, the computer is my good, good friend.
I envy your gatherings.

8:13 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Jarvenpa:
Yes, they're great. Thankyou.
Fun and supportive at the same time.

10:43 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That is such a great thing! Sisterhood at its very best. I love the biscuits theme ;)

12:11 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

CB;
Yes, BUT nobody's sure WHOSE actually the Jammy Dodger, the Marshmallow or the Ginger Nut..

12:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home