Wednesday, June 13, 2007

" Tasting Delicious Things"

I've had tastes of some interesting things this week:
Food, Plays, and a Book by a writer whose books I wish I'd met years ago.

First, the Food:
20 years ago, a lively French Restaurant opened in my city. We went often, sometimes alone, sometimes with family or friends; we always had a great time.
BUT our city bursts with excellent eating places and as we like trying what's new, I suppose we'd neglected Francs Restaurant ( www.francs.co.uk/ ) recently.
THAT was a mistake.
Francs has had an expensive facelift and looks marvellous. And it's still its friendly happy self, the sort of place you relax in and laugh in and chatter in...
AND on Mondays at present ( from 5pm) Francs celebrates its 20 th anniversary with a menu offering delicious food at 1987 prices!
Certainly worth a taste, I promise!

Second, the Plays:
Last night, Chester Theatre Club directors introduced members to their plays for next season.
AND some fabulous, varied choices.
They include: John Godber's " Happy Families", " What the butler saw" by Joe Orton, Strindberg's " Miss Julie", "A month of Sundays" by Bob Larbie, Pinter's " The Lover", also " Relative Values" by Noel Coward and JB Priestley's " Dangerous Corner"
Each director gave a resume and it's clear that there's a great season on the way.
( www.chestertheatreclub.co.uk )

Third, the Book:
I have never read Edith Wharton before.
(THERE, I've admitted it. ...)
But my Book Club chose the wonderful " The Age of Innocence".
AND I read it.
AND I am hooked.

Utterly.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne S said...

aaah Edith Warton. I'm amazed you have not come across her before. I've got quite a collection of her books, but haven't read them for years.

You've reminded me of them and, as I am at odds of what to read next, I might hunt them out and give Edith another whirl.

6:59 am  
Blogger carole said...

I'm another fan of Edith Wharton. She also dramatizes well.

8:54 am  
Blogger Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

Yum, Jan, I must visit Chester again! I've never actually lived in city; it must be great to have so much on offer, culturally and in every other way, on one's doorstep.

Lizzie x

3:41 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Sounds the perfect week and Ienjoyed your piece on the fabulous Pat too.

10:05 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Chester on a bike was a perfectly delicious place, some decades ago. Sounds like it still is.

12:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All sounds good, Jan - all that out there waiting for me. All I have to do is get up from this chair...

11:08 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Your town sounds as if it has some great stuff to go and see and taste. Edith Wharton is a great writer - like Anne, I haven't read her for a while ... You've reminded me to look her up again sometime.

12:07 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Anne:
I know, but I suppose better late than never!
Wish you were nearer coz I'd be hopping round to borrow your copies!

Carole:
Thanks, Carole. Good to hear you. Hope your course going OK.

Lizzie:
Not sure where you are, but I have a feeling it's not all that far.
This city also has a lot of shops selling lovely things! Hmm.

Apprentice:
Thanks for that.
Yes, nice things.

Marly:
Wow!
Where were you going/coming from, Marly?
Sounds great.
And where did you go to in Chester??

Clare:
Hope so much that you've made a FIRM BOOKING for Bhutan.
We missed you at W+B yesterday and hope you make next time.

CB:
Thanks.
And how is your son with the great blog?
He writes well, doesn't he?

6:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home