Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"APLOPOGIES"

Hello. Blog Neglect has set in. My aplopogies.
Here are daffodils to make amends.
Above is: "Daffodils Giclee Print by James Stuart Park"
Daffodils are ( supposedly) a cliche; their cheeriness, says a neighbour, is decidedly " naff". However, Wordsworth didn't think so; one spring, he saw them fluttering and dancing in the breeze and HEY PRESTO! he created a literary masterpiece on the strength of them.
Some Cleverclogs Academics may roll their eyes and say Wordsworth became, in fact, responsible for this naffness but I for one have enjoyed both poem AND daffodils for many a cheering Spring and I'm not emptying my vases now...
I love the simplicity of daffodils. I love their massed golden faces; their optimism, their happiness.
And anyway, we ALL know that a bunch of daffodils can frequently Do The Trick...

But my excuses:
My computer was less accessible last week; this was due to gorgeous GRB sleeping nearby in his travel cot.
Then this week I've been groggy with a cold, I've coughed and I've spluttered; even scrawling a shopping list wore me out.

HOWEVER: I am improving. Daffodils are yellowing and Day is longer and just now, when I slipped out to my dustbin, ( Ha! Aint life marvellous?) the air was fine and fresh ( it sizzzzled, it actually sizzzzzled) and the evening sky had a wonderful, surprising lightness to it and I smelt new thoughts, new ideas and new temptations and excitements billowed in the breeze down our wide suburban street...

I hope I'll always (for the rest of my life ) appreciate this sudden surging of the spirit, this massive uplift..my spirit flying again.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly sympathize, Jan! Don't overdo it now, in an effort to make up for lost time. Be as kind and easy on yourself as you would be with a friend.

7:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your young visitor and now recovering from grottiness but STEADY ON Jan, this 'Spring is in the air' stuff has me worried for your safety and that of those around you!

Looking forward to some laughter therapy.

11:58 am  
Blogger Lee said...

Thanks for this rather cheering post. I've been wondering where you've been.

4:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mum,
You sound in high spirits!Glad you are feeling better. Think I could do with a snifter of whatever it is you have been taking!
Richard.

9:14 am  
Blogger dinzie said...

I still think of spring as being snowdrops showing winters break and then the daffodills that filled the forest floor where I grew up as a kid .....:O)

10:30 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Susan: Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Lorna: I'm sorry that this was not to be the weekend for Laughter Therapy. R is tucked up in bed. Hopefully, he WILL laugh again when he's feeling better. But it will be lovely when we DO eventually see you.
Lee: Glad it cheered you.
Ric: My Mummy Hat is on: " Keep warm and watch yer kidneys!"
Dinzie: Was this forest Delamere by any chance??

11:18 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

The day I left the North Carolina mountains last week was the first day this year when I saw a daffodil (and crocuses and daphne and pansies.) And now I am back amid the snow heaps...

The book list was fun. They could've chosen worse, you know. They hit some favorites of mine. Austen and Bronte and Dickens are favorites. Hardy. I love his Wessex tales and many of his poems. The five us listened to Tolkien for 900 miles last weekend, and it made the journey considerably more exciting.

2:48 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Marly: Where were you going on this epic journey? I am trying to guess how you were travelling, who you all were..

11:12 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Jan,

Here is a little VERVE back your way. I'm keeping some for me and my youngest, home sick.

2:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jan im sarah. susan palmer younger daughter. my mum was reading you blogs, so i joined reading them to.fantastic stuff you have written here, must of took you ages. keep up the good work. sarah x

10:11 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Sarah:
Thanks very much for this and say HELLO SUSAN to your ma too!
Every time someone writes on my Blog, I receive an email saying there's a new comment. I'm glad this happens, as I'd miss stuff otherwise.
Great to hear from you
Hope very much to see you again.XXX

10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home