Sunday, April 26, 2009

" A First Time For Everything.."


QUESTION:
What on Earth connects Judith Kerr's brilliant 40 year old " The Tiger Who Came To Tea" with my husband's favourite: Matthew Kneale's Whitbread Prize winner "English Passengers"... ???
Any idea??
ANSWER:
I've discovered this week that Kerr/Kneale are mother/son.
So that's another talented dynasty to think about ..
This week saw us at Theatr Clwyd again.
And in great company...we took our 3 year old grandson for his 1st visit to the theatre.
A stage version of " The Tiger Who Came To Tea" seemed appropriate: he likes the book, we like the book, his folks like the book...
And yes, we loved this stage version. David Wood adapted it from the book, keeping faithfully to both story, words and pictures ( the set was perfect) and adding songs and lyrics with which the mini audience joined in ( and stood up!) lustily...
And YES, most important of all: the Tiger...a huge ( 6ft 6ins??) gingery black one in fabulous costume...was both lovable and scary and ( as the 3 Bears said in another book!) JUST RIGHT!
Hopefully a good introduction to theatre for a very impressionable 3 year old..

10 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

Or a grown up who's still a child in the corner of their heart, it would seem...

9:34 am  
Blogger Catherine said...

That takes me back, I remember reading that book to my children

12:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a favourite with my class of 5 year olds. Now enjoying sitting Lucas on my lap and sharing treasured memories of my fovourite books with him.

5:38 pm  
Blogger Philippa said...

Must be wonderful to take a grandson to the theatre! I can remember our son's first visit - it was to the Barbican in London to see a superb version of The Snowman. Gets me 'just there'!

9:32 pm  
Blogger Anne S said...

I love The English Passenger - it's a wonderful novel.

4:19 am  
Blogger Sarah Laurence said...

What a literary family! My daughter loved that storybook.

8:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like a wonderful outing with a three year old - and so great that the director stayed true to the story - it always bothers me when they deviate, especially from "classics"!

12:52 pm  
Blogger Jon M said...

I loved The Tiger Who Came To Tea. Sorry I missed that, I know a few older children who would've enjoyed it!

4:57 pm  
Blogger apprentice said...

Oh what a lovely first that must have been!

2:02 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

THankyou for all your comments. Grrr!

11:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home