Wednesday, April 01, 2009

"And Now: Vogue Treats!"

Occassionally I go a bit mad and treat m'self to a lustrous copy of "Vogue".
"In a Recession?" I hear you snort: " You'd be better off with 'Hello!'"
"NO, it's got to be 'Vogue'!" I say... and why not?

SO I put my feet up on the sofa with cats/chocolate/cushions in attendance, and off I go, hobnobbing ( sorry, that's a biscuit, isn't it) but hob-nobbing nevertheless with Those In Vogue: with double-barrelled Charlottes and probably Georgianas and the odd Lady Caroline (often a painter, writer, interior designer, wife of Banker AND mother of at least 24 heavenly children ) AND there's of course a gorgeous slinky Hon. Hector in satin waistcoat ( swinging out of The Ivy) and a Mayfair Gallery Owner called Venetia or maybe Louis Du Lapin-Sinclair ( weeelll, something like!) ..and there's usually Princesses Beatrice/Eugenie (micro minis, round faces, tons of hair) and there's always Fashionistas... ( What IS a "Fashionista"?) in black tuxedos and Manolo Blahnik shoes and and ...I could go on but I've got M+S jeans on and a men's V-neck ( special offer £9:50 M+S) and am feeling a little badly dressed...

BUT this month "Vogue" burgeons. It burgeons like the sudden appearence of Spring. It burgeons with frugal tips for being frugal. And I've read, marked and learned them:
I SHOULD use old denim to make deckchair covers.
I should don Prada jimjams and make a baked spud supper topped with truffle shavings.
And when folk come for dinner, I must explain away my empty art-less walls by telling folk I've lent all my paintings to MOmA...
And should I be weary and wintery-pale ( yes!) and desparately need a break, it's a good plan to chat up a mate with a Stately Home...
BUT BEST of all: when going to a film, ( and YES, I DO want to see Bill Nighy and co bopping on "The Boat That Rocks") I should make my own popcorn and put it in grocery bags and scoff it in the cinema..( And I don't even LIKE popcorn!)

OK, Vogue has her beautiful TongueIn Her Cheek and it's all A Bit Of Fun, but I can't help wondering what my mother's/grandmother's tips would be as we all supposedly tighten our ( M+S) belts......

9 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

M & S - the backbone of the British - where would we be with out them?!

9:09 pm  
Blogger Kat W said...

Great post - love the way you've described your experience of Vogue. Smiling. Kat :-)

7:31 pm  
Blogger Helen P said...

I go out to pick up The Times or The Telegraph and regularly come back with Grazia stuffed up my jumper.

10:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, brilliant post! I haven't read a Vogue in years but there was a time, I confess, when I devoured it monthly - and then I came back down to earth ;-)

9:48 am  
Blogger herhimnbryn said...

I still miss M&S!
The special mag for me is 'Country Living' ( either uk or oz). I flip through the pages and dream about how I would like my house to look!

8:30 am  
Blogger apprentice said...

Ha ha they are great at working the angles aren't they. It was the truffle shavings on the baked tattie that got me laughing.

A well it's a step on from "let them eat cake!"

11:14 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

But only just a step up from 'let them eat cake'... Does one do the spud in the microwave, or use huge amounts of juice doing it in the proper oven

I got all excited the other day when a google ad popped up on my gmail saying M&S now exporting to France. Visions of tins of chicken in white sauce, stem ginger cookies and other delights swam before my eyes.

However, it turned out to be only clothing and household goods, and as underwear is just as good from Carrefour or Bon Prix, no point in pursuing it!

3:02 pm  
Blogger cheshire wife said...

The nearest I get to 'Vogue' these days is 'Cheshire Life'. The description fits. One only needs to change the names.

6:18 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Lovely reading all your comments. Thanks for them all!

7:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home