Tuesday, November 28, 2017

" Didn't My Mother Wear Chiffon....?"



A recent trip to Lady Lever Art Gallery, Port Sunlight....to an Exhibition of Fashion and Photos from the 1950's......and WHAT an era..gorgeous "evening" dresses...classy suits...tweedy coats ...some with amazingly nipped-in-waists! )...herringbone...camel...satin and silk...chiffon...elegant shoes...( no boots like mine in sight!)....hats with brims and veils ( to hide/flirt behind!) .....and handbags...I could almost smell their leather ...exuding from the photographs.....

The Exhibition consisted of lovely snaps from the collection belonging to Jane Duncan. 
She was one of Britain's top fashion models in the 1950's. She modelled for Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Vanity Fair...long before Jean Shrimpton ...Twiggy...and beautiful Marie Helvin apeared.

Loyts of dresses on show at Port Sunlight...mostly from ther collection of National Museums in Liverpool. 

Quote from Jane Duncan ( 1924-2014): " Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and wonder if I dreamed those heady days at the peak of my career in the glamour and fashion world of the 1950's...."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home