Sunday, December 24, 2006

In The Deep Midwinter, Snow is Falling Snow On Snow..."


I write this blog on Christmas Eve; this painting ( exhibited in The Lady Lever Art Gallery, Port Sunlight ) captures the beauty of deep midwinter. It's called:" The shortening Winter Day is near a close"; it's a lovely title for a stunning painting. Light falls on snow as sun sets, as it glints through black leafless branches. And there are dark dramatic shadows casting colours and reflections on the whiteness..
It was painted in 1903 by the Scottish artist, Joseph Farquharson. He was born in Edinburgh in 1846. When he was twelve, Farquharson received a paintbox as a Christmas present; a year later, his first painting was exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy. He died in 1935.
Today I'm enjoying this painting; I'm sure many people have and many will. I'm particularly hoping my friend Carolyn enjoys this glimpse. We've seen the painting together at the gallery and both feel the same: that Farquharson has created a magical wonderful place..


3 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What a peaceful painting. We are far from such scenes here where I am on holiday (having spent Christmnas Day here yesterday with the in-laws. ) I am in an internet cafe writing this - feeling very cosmopolitan!
I have enjoyed catching up on your posts - LOVED reading about your handbags - I can see that would be a great writing idea for a poem or a short essay / story. I will keep it in mind.
Hope you had a lovely Xmas - it will be about 10.30 pm Christmas Day over there as I write this mid-day NZ (in Queenstown.)

10:35 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Christmas long passed as I write this. It's actually Dec 30th; I haven't been faithful to my blog lately! Our Christmas was lovely, mainly family and now looking forward into the New Year with all its promises, its surprises...

11:47 am  
Blogger Professor Howdy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home